Skip to main content

Classroom Management



Every job interview I have been to, the two questions that inevitably come up - and the ones I always choke on - are: What do you think a good class leader is? and How would you describe the ideal classroom? I am at a loss when I hear these questions, because I have no idea what to answer. Which is what I will try to do now.


What is a good class leader? is I think indicative of the state of education in Scandinavian countries - teachers have the role of social workers or class managers, to the detriment of doing their initial job, which is to teach. On the other hand, it is probably something I need to reflect on more systematically, because a teacher does need to lead the class towards a learning goal. Failing to answer this question leads potential employers to think I am unable to lead a classroom, and that couldn’t be further from the truth. 


I always assume the question is about discipline, and it probably is (at least in part) - but it is also about pedagogical tools and methodology. My perspective is slightly different from what you’d read in a textbook for teachers, and it goes like this: be good at your subject, know what you are doing in the classroom, and the group of students will eventually get on board. A good classroom environment is dependent upon the teacher’s competence. The first time I said this in a job interview in Sweden - about 9 years ago - the principal twitched; she did not laugh out loud, but she was not impressed either, which is why I always hesitate to give this answer again. But it is not purely theoretical, it is a tried and tested approach. 


In one classroom at the school I teach now there is a bright kid who has for a long time been completely unapproachable to me - often both physically and mentally absent from the room. Telling him to sit down and pay attention would not ever work, so I decided I would try to be interesting and knowledgeable instead - since the whole classroom is in fact inhabited by students with big personalities, very curious and clever individuals - each in their own way - but also many kids who need a lot of help, I thought the way to go is to up the ante. 


In religion class for instance I don’t read texts with them anymore - I can literally see them get bored and lose interest. Instead, I start every lesson with big questions that lead to philosophical discussions: what do you believe in? can we see God? what came first, the egg or the chicken? do good things happen to good people? what happens if you do something bad? The discussions get started, and slowly I get them where I wanted to get them - for instance, we mention karma, and we hear what everyone knows about it - then, and only then, do we start reading about Hinduism and Buddhism, only then do we start writing and systematizing the knowledge and writing down facts and new concepts. Since I started this method the kid I mentioned before almost never leaves the room. Additionally, I take the time and energy to plan projects where they can use their body language and their environment - such as drama and play, ensuring that every kid gets a change to express what they know, not only the ones who master reading. Good class management.


Every classroom is different, which is why there is no one good answer to the question about the good class leader. The method mentioned above would not work in a group where there are over 20 kids and lots of disciplinary issues. The way I approach such a classroom is what I’d call the “divide and conquer” method. Find something they care about, divide them into groups, let them start working on their own - provide assistance to the groups that need it the most. 


For example, working with the wider subject of democracy in practice, I divided the class into smaller groups and asked them to form political parties. Come up with a party name, write a platform, work out how they’d achieve that platform. I did not have to start with explaining political parties, what they do, how democracy works - because they came up with these questions themselves, approached me, wanted to know. And that is how we learned about democracy. How did I get them there? By telling them that if their party has a good plan, manages to nominate a candidate for the role of prime minister and win the election, I’d guarantee that one item on their platform would be fulfilled. 


I was pleasantly surprised to see that 9-10 year-olds are so passionate about the environment, about improving their school experience, about social injustice - there were, of course, the odd ones out wanting “play days” or “candy at school”, but those parties did not have a successful candidate. Meanwhile, we enjoyed a whole two weeks where their attention was grabbed, where the learning goals were achieved, and - I dare say - no one was bored. And the kids who usually acted out, wanted to leave the classroom, or lacked motivation? They had the arena to act out, be passionate about their own cause (even if that was “no school and more candy!”); they were allowed to leave the classroom and sit in a group room or the hallways; they were motivated, because they thought they’d get a chance to change the way things were. Good class management.


I have many more examples (and would very much like to hear what other teachers have experienced) - but I rest my case: good leaders are the ones that are good at their jobs, that are competent. Controlling a group of kids cannot be achieved by disciplinary methods and good routines - while providing a sound skeleton to the teaching process - don’t always lead to achieving learning goals. And that is, in fact, what teachers should do, in my opinion.



What is an ideal classroom? is a question I will always fail to answer, because I tend to say “there is no such thing” and then potential employers don’t even follow up. 


So let me reflect on what I could say instead. An ideal classroom is where everyone involved knows what they are going to do, how they are going to do it, and what that achieves or leads to. The consensus in the literature is that young learners benefit from knowing what, how and why a task is to be done (read, for instance, John Hattie and S.I. Alhquist). Make it clear from the very beginning what they are meant to do and why they do it. It is particularly relevant now in light of the new curriculum and the fast pace of everyday life, where one is required to process large amounts of information in a very short time and make use of that knowledge in a practical and useful manner. Can this be achieved? For every classroom one needs to think differently, as I think I have shown above. The kids will always ask: “why do we have to do this?!” - and then you must be prepared to answer. 


Here's hoping that next time I won't choke and I will have the courage to answer these questions my way. What would you answer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English is Everywhere

Are your kids at school wondering why English is spoken everywhere? And do you assume that they know the reason(s) why? Think again.  Colonialism as a concept seems to be absent from primary education, which is problematic in itself. But learning a bit of history is the key to understanding the many varieties of English, its status as an official language in no less than 56 countries, and the cultural consequences of colonialism. I am never hesitant to speak about history in my classes: social sciences, languages, even science cannot be taught without the historical background. The look of wonder on the faces of some of my pupils originally from South Asia when they understood, for example, why cricket is so popular in their country of origin or why most people in Pakistan and India seem to speak English, was very rewarding.  Here is a simple, yet effective method to teach pupils about the rise of English as a global language.  Competence aims : explore and use pronunciation patterns

Conversation Starters

Not sure how to get the conversation started in the English language classes after the summer break? Here are a few tips for you! By using a couple of games inspired by contemporary celebrities, throw in a bit of pop culture there too – my sources are Dakota Johnson (actress), Stephen Colbert (comedian, political commentator, television host), and – well, the American people. I naturally gave all these a twist to make them more suitable for usage in the classrooms. Enjoy!  The Acting Game  This is inspired by an interview I saw with Dakota Johnson on Jimmy Fallon’s television show; see the video below:   First present the game and give instructions to the whole class. Best not to show the video, but maybe act it out yourself, with the help of a volunteer.  INSTRUCTIONS:  We are going to play a game called “The acting game”. You will be working in pairs. You take turns picking a card and reading different scenarios. Your classmate must then act out how he or she would react to this part

Komparativ religion på barnetrinnet

Religiøse konflikter eller misforståelser finnes ikke bare i teorien eller i politikk - de er en del av hverdagen og er forankret i uvitenhet. På barnetrinnet kan det være et utvidelse av helt vanlige konflikter på skolegården eller i klasserommet, eller så kan det tolkes som en ny måte å kategorisere grupper på. For eksempel, når de skal spille fotball i friminuttene sier barna at det skal være “muslimer mot kristne” - istedenfor det gamle kjønnsdelingen (jenter mot gutter). Det virker helt uskyldig, men det kan fort bli konflikt hvis noen er misfornøyd med hvordan spillet går. Vi lever i et multietnisk og multireligiøs samfunn og vi vil lære forstå hverandre bedre. Gjennom kunnskap om ulike religioner skal vi utvikle evne til å leve i og med mangfold i samfunnslivet. Om vi undersøker fellestrekk mellom de tre store abrahamittiske religionene (kristendommen, islam og jødedommen), kan vi utvikle mer forståelse og toleranse for hverandre.  Kristendom, Jødedom og Islam er blitt til i det